We have picked the best spots for you! As you know, stags bellow from approximately mid-September to mid-October. It’s the perfect time to go the Ardennes and (re)discover this mysterious yet fascinating spectacle. This year, our teams have selected the best partners throughout the Ardennes who will be able to help you experience this unique happening. The cherry on the cake? As an Ardennes étape client, you can benefit from your advantages with each one of our partners. Don’t wait too long! Listening to the call of the stag is a very popular activity and spaces are limited.
Admire the stag in all his glory at the Domain of the Caves of Han
Choose between an evening or morning visit at the Domain of the Caves of Han. In the evening, travel through the park in a safari car by moonlight to watch stags demonstrating their power to attract females. If you prefer to listen to the stags bellow in the morning, lace up your walking shoes to stealthily observe the king of our forests.
- Language: French
- Evening visit: 15/09, 16/09, 17/09, 22/09, 23/09, 24/09, 29/09, 30/09, 01/10, 06/10, 07/10, 08/10/2023
- Evening visit with meal: 15/09, 16/09, 23/09, 29/09, 30/09, 06/10, 07/10/2023
- Morning visit: 6/09, 17/09, 23/09, 24/09, 30/09, 01/10, 07/10, 08/10/2023
- Duration of the experience (not including the meal): for evening visits : 1h45. For morning visits: 3h30.
- Minimum age: 4 years old for safari car visits and 6 years old for morning visits
- Price: Evening visit: without meal: Children (4-11 years old): EUR 23. Adult: EUR 30. With meal: Children (4-11 years old): EUR 38,5. Adult: EUR 55. / Morning visit: Children (6-11 years old): EUR 28. Adult: EUR 35.
- Meal: Optional in the evening (check the menu on our partner’s website). Breakfast in the morning (included in the price).
- How to book: Book and pay in advance with the code ARE23VISEX.
- For more information, click here!
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape client, enjoy a preferential rate for your visit (15% discount), excluding the meal, by mentioning the code ARE23VISEX when booking.
Follow the guide in Houyet
The Houyet Tourist Office is offering guided walks at night or in the morning to listen to the call of the stag. The program also includes a snack and mulled wine for night-time walks and breakfast if you opt for a morning walk.
- Language: French
- Dates : Night walks: 15 - 22 - 27 - 29/09 and 7/10/2023 - Morning walks: 17/09 and 7/10/2023
- Prices: Night walks: 8 euros per adult and 3 euros per child under 10. Morning walks: 11 euros / adult and 5 euros per child under 10 years old.
- Meals: Included in the price
- How to book: Book by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More info
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients:: As an Ardennes étape customer, receive a 1 euro discount per adult on presentation of your Activity Pass.
A VIP tour with a keeper at Forestia
Head to Forestia park where you’ll meet up with a keeper for a VIP evening. What’s on the programme? A short introduction before heading out to observe the king of our forests, followed by a question and answer session and, of course, a good meal at Forest’Bar for those who want to indulge themselves.
- Language: French
- Dates: Check the dates and times on our partner’s website.
- Duration of the experience (excluding the meal): 2 hours
- Minimum age: 8 years old.
- Price: See our partner's website.
- Meal: Optional (several menus available).
- How to book: Book and pay in advance (email@example.com). Make sure you include the details of all participants.
- For more information, click here.
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape client, benefit from a preferential rate (EUR 2 discount per person) by mentioning the code ARDENNESETAPE when booking.
Follow Vanessa to hear the stags bellow in Stoumont
Vanessa is a nature guide who is passionate about her region and its hidden treasures. With her, it’s all about improvisation! Depending on what you’re looking for, she will plan an evening just for you, finding the most beautiful spots to listen and observe.
- Language: French
- Dates: Booking required according to availability from 15/09 to 5/10/2023.
- Duration of the experience: around 2 hours
- Minimum age: 7 years old. Minimum 8 and maximum 15 people per group
- Price: EUR 80 per group (up to 8 people). EUR 10 per extra adult or EUR 5 per child (7-12 years old)
- How to book: Contact Vanessa at +32.(0)499 457204 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape client, enjoy a cup of tea and pesto toasts at the end of the experience upon presentation of your Activity Pass.
A day of packraft and stag bellow with Cairn Outdoor
Enjoy a unique experience in Belgium: a day of packraft combined with an evening listening to the stag... Start your experience at the Nisramont dam for a gentle introduction to packraft. Once the boats have been put away, return to the starting point, enjoy a meal and set off again to listen to the stag in the heart of the Belgian Ardennes!
- Language: French
- Dates: 23 - 24 - 30/09 - 1 - 7 - 8 - 14 - 15/10/2023
- Duration of the experience: 10 hours (from 10 am to 10 pm)
- From 16 years old
- Maximum 6 people
- Price: between 70 and 99 euros
- Meals: optional
- How to book: Book on our partner's website using the code BRAMEARDETAPE
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape customer, benefit from a 5% discount with the code BRAMEARDETAPE
Follow your guide in the Anlier forest
Head for one of the most expansive forests in the Ardennes, where the Tourism Office will take you to the heart of the forest to listen to the call of the stag. Begin your evening with a guided nature walk, starting from Fauvillers. After that, savour some regional delicacies before continuing your evening with a walk in the woods to listen to the stags bellow.
- Language: French
- Dates: 15 – 16 – 21 – 22 – 23 – 24/09/2023
- Duration of the experience: 6 hours (from 5pm to 11pm)
- Minimum age: 10 years old
- From 8 till 10 people per date.
- Price: EUR 30
- Meal: Included in the price
- How to book: Contact email@example.com or +32.61 21 80 05
- More information
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape client, receive a small gift from the Tourism Office on presentation of your Activity Pass.
A personalised walk with Olivier in the woods of Saint-Hubert or Anlier
Olivier will take care of your every need in this experience that is tailored to your wishes. The choice is yours! Together, you can create your itinerary and explore the forest of Anlier, Saint-Hubert or Fauvillers. Observe and listen to the stag and deer, as you get to know these fascinating animals.
- Language: French, English
- Dates: Booking required according to availability from 10/09 to 30/09/2023.
- Duration of the experience: tailored to you, between 3.5 and 5 hours.
- Minimum age: 8 years old. Minimum 4 and maximum 8 adults (or 12 people including children)
- Price: EUR 80 per group
- How to book: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +32.496/21.67.66. Payment in advance.
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape client, receive a Trek Aventure bandana on presentation of your Activity Pass.
Follow an experienced naturalist guide in Gouvy, Tailles or Stoumont
Put on your walking boots and head for the “Haute Ardenne”, where you can watch the majestic stag in the company of your guide. All profits from this activity go to a nature development project run by the owners of Rewilding Guiding, which is also supported by the Natagora association and Ardennes-étape.
- Language: Dutch
- Dates: 14 - 15 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 22 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29/09 - 11 - 12 - 13/10/2023
- Duration of experience: 2 h (departure at 5.30pm)
- Location to be defined
- From 6 years old
- Price: 80 euros per group
- Meals: No
- Maximum 10 participants
- Activity suitable for people who cannot walk far (maximum 1 km walk)
- How to book: Book by email at email@example.com
Special offer for Ardennes étape privilege clients: As an Ardennes étape customer, benefit from a preferential price on the tour price (10% discount) on presentation of your Activity Pass.
Our top tips for the best experience:
- Wear dark, warm clothes and bring a raincoat if needed
- Stags have a very strong sense of smell: don’t wear perfume
- Wear your walking shoes
- Don’t forget your binoculars! Stags are observed from a distance
- If you wish to take photos, turn off the flash
- Don’t take a torch, it might scare the animals away. Your eyes will adjust to the dark
- Leave your four-legged companion at home
- Shhh! Be quiet while listening to the stags bellow so that you don’t scare the stags or deer
- Finally, don’t forget to share your photos and experience with us! We can’t wait to hear your feedback.
Prolong the experience and book a stay in the Ardennes
We even have houses where you may be able to hear the call of the stag from the patio. Choose a holiday home on the edge of the forest or close to a clearing. That would be a true Ardennes experience!